EU is an interdenominational group: that is, we are made up of people from all sorts of church backgrounds, and plenty of people who have no church background at all. What follows is a list of some of the fundamental truths of Christianity as found in the Bible, which we believe, seek to live by and teach.
It is known as our Doctrinal Basis, and we share it with over 60 other groups like us around Australia who join together as the Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students (AFES).
AFES in turn shares the same beliefs with all the member groups of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES), which is represented on University campuses in over 140 countries worldwide. This, in a nutshell, is what we believe:
Doctrinal Basis of the EU
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture as originally given, and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal guilt and sinfulness of man since the Fall rendering man subject to God's wrath and condemnation.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin, only through the sacrificial death, as our Representative and Substitute, of Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Son of God.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and His birth by the Virgin Mary.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Jesus Christ effective to individual sinners, granting each one repentance towards God and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.